Excellent Hornet Radar Tutorial

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Excellent Hornet Radar Tutorial

Post by Hedgehog » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 am

Best I have seen, so sharing it here so we can go back and review.

(Best to click the YouTube link on the bottom so you can see it full screen. I think the message board interface crops it a bit.)

Lion

Re: Excellent Hornet Radar Tutorial

Post by Lion » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:25 am

4 minutes into this tutorial and I'm already hearing wrong information, not a great start....

Medium pulse repetition frequency(MPRF) is not used for "close in contacts", its best used to find targets that are cold from you, flying away from you. :1huh:

edit: "if the bandit is outside 25 nm, use high PRF"
yeah no, high PRF is for contacts that are hot with your aircraft, pointed toward you. Range has nothing to do with it.

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Post by Hedgehog » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:40 pm

He kinda demonstrates the validity of his assertions regarding PRF, which is possibly different in the sim than in real life.

Trim

Post by Trim » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:16 pm

Oddly enough, without having any previous direction on which should be used when and just trying to figure it out, I guessed that high PRF should be used close in and medium should be used at higher ranges. My thinking was that PRF basically determines the space between the pulses. If a high PRF is used, the spaces will be shorter and at longer ranges a pulse might start before the previous one makes it back to the antenna which would likely confuse the radar. I wouldn't think closing speed would have too much to do with it. But, like I said, that is what I came up just trying to think through it logically without any real education on the subject.