Recruitment

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Recruitment

Post by Hedgehog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 pm

We've been getting some applications and interest in response to messages placed on Facebook and on the ED forums.

What's interesting is that I respond to each completed application via email with the link to the Discord channel and directions to contact us via Discord and/or on the Message Board. Most never do.

I believe that it is the result of expectations set by the majority if the 'biggest and best' DCS squadrons and air wings out there. Their goal is to generate the largest roster of pilots possible. In order to accomplish that goal, applicants are generally automatically added to the roster, no contact, no questions asked.

VFA-41 has never been, and will never be, like that. We have always done our best to make sure applicants will be a good fit before offering them a Black Aces flight suit. Admittedly, it's not an exact science. You do your best, but we've had countless recruits placed on the roster, they show up for about 2 weeks, and then vanish without a trace.

How do we attempt to determine if a pilot will be a good fit?

First and foremost, does the pilot appear to present a value to the squadron. That value is primarily represented by a commitment to consistent participation. Pilots with little or no expertise are moved to the front of the line. Also, pilots who are refugees from one of the 'biggest and best' squadrons get extra points, because they've seen what they don't want.

What gets an applicant rejected?

a) Expert pilots will rarely be offered a commission in VFA-41. Historically, their real goal is to plaster the message board about everything we are doing wrong in order to express their expertise. We've been doing this for a long time, and the way we do things is well-considered and time-proven. If we wanted a 'consultant' to come in and shape us up, we'd ask for one.

b) Unable to commit to continuous, consistent participation. That's pretty self-explanatory.

c) A pilot whose main concern is, 'What can VFA-41 do for me?' VFA-41 is not here to support sim pilots. It's the other way around. Pilots support the squadron. Sure, we provide basic training and qualification, but it's not because we are a service organization... it's because we need to train pilots so that they can present a value to the squadrons goal of mission readiness.

The Black Aces flight suit is not a good fit for every DCS pilot. That's intentional. And that's why there are only 12 slots on the VFA-41 pilot roster. Those who click on the 'Join VFA-41' link, fill out an application, and expect to be automatically added to the pilot roster are knocking on the wrong door. Try one of the 'biggest and best' squadrons.

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Re: Recruitment

Post by Hedgehog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:48 pm

In a reflection of that kind of organization, way before the Hornet was introduced in DCS World, I was flying a good bit of UH-1 Huey. I applied to and joined a Huey squadron that I found. I was added to the roster immediately, with no discussion. When I got online with them, I discovered that they were a Huey squadron in name only. Everyone in the group was too busy flying fixed-wing stuff to actually get any Huey missions going.

I sent my resignation notice and explained why.

Fast forward about 2 years. I STILL get emails and notices from that Huey squadron. When their goal is to get the largest number of names on a roster as possible, not only is it extremely easy to get in, you can't get out.

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Re: Recruitment

Post by Hedgehog » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Why 12 roster slots?

a) We don't ever want to get too big to be manageable. Every Black Ace will know that he is an integral and valued part of the team.

b) Although we generally do not have slots for 12 pilots in missions, with 12 on the roster we might average 8 pilots available for a scheduled mission on any given day. 8 is kinda the sweet spot for a big campaign mission.

c) With 12 active pilots on the roster, there should always be one or two squadron members online to fly a pick-up mission whenever you want to get up. We're currently not there. There are many occasions when I get online and I'm the only one there.

So lets get the roster filled, gents!