Warthog Spring Replacement

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Warthog Spring Replacement

Post by Hedgehog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:09 pm

I got the Warthog stick from Badger last month, and found the stiffness to be quite a bit too strong for my liking, especially compared to the Saitek X55 stick I had been using. The Warthog has a very pronounced center position, and fights me constantly trying to return to the center position.

Some guys swear by extension tubes that effectively reduce the force needed to move the stick, but you'd have to have mounting options that I don't have. My base has to be at keyboard drawer level.

I found that one of the guys who sells the extension tubes also sells different replacement springs.

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com ... n-springs/

I bought the "green" spring, which is a weaker spring. It took about 3 weeks to arrive from somewhere in Europe.
green spring 2.jpg
green spring 2.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
green spring.jpg
green spring.jpg (57.27 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Verdict? It's better. I probably should have gotten some sort of scale to measure the force needed to move the stick from the center position, but it is noticeably easier now. It still has a very pronounced 'THIS is the center position!' spot that it wants to be in, but I don't feel like it's fighting me nearly as much. If I had to guess, I'd say the force required to move it from the center position is now 60-75% of what it was with the original spring. Still a bit more than what I would like, but I feel like I can work with it now.

Shadow

Re: Warthog Spring Replacement

Post by Shadow » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Very interesting. Spring tension is very important when you start activities like refueling and trapping in poor conditions. I think I will order the Green Spring just to have it on hand. You know, just in case. Thanks for the link, HH.