WWII Stuff

Hedgehog
Site Admin

WWII Stuff

Post by Hedgehog » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:28 am

Stepping into the way-back machine... in the old days of VFA-41 and Jane's F/A-18, we also flew IL2/1946 as our sim platform for the Pacific carrier air wars of WWII.

The old XO, Dragon, was a huge WWII history buff, and painstakingly created over 100 missions that literally replicated every battle in the Pacific that he could find within the constraints of the sim. We fought the entire war over the course of over a year.

What I can't remember is when we flew the 'VF-41' WWII missions. Lion or Ticman, do you remember? What night of the week? Was it Sundays before the regular squadron mission? Another night?

When DCS finally adds sufficient content to fly WWII missions in the Pacific, I anticipate wanting to do the same thing. But it will require more than just the Corsair and one US carrier... will need a period appropriate map, hopefully F4F Wildcats and torpedo- or divebombers, and some Japanese ships and AI opponent aircraft. So it's probably still pretty far down the road. I'm anxious to see it, though!
il21946.jpg
il21946.jpg (257.32 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

Lion

Re: WWII Stuff

Post by Lion » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am

im pretty sure Pacific Fighter was Tuesday nights cause we also did a 2nd regular campaign mission on Wednesday nights

ticman

Post by ticman » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:15 pm

I remember us flying WWII after the VFA-41 mission....I will also want to fly the WWII stuff!

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:46 am

So I am coming late into this but I also believe we used to play it on Tuesday night as well. My questions is though why can't we play it again. I understand that it's not a primary game that is sold in stores anymore but I am sure that if squadron members that don't have a copy of the game but wanted to play it they could get a copy from ebay for pretty cheap now. I am not sure what it takes to get the game up and running again but I am willing to try and figure it out. I also have an extra computer to act as the server as well. So what do you say Hedgehog? Can we try to get this Classic game back up and running again. :1grin:

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Post by Hedgehog » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:05 am

The main problem with the 'old' IL-2 series (Pacific Fighters => IL-2/1946) is that it branched off into a myriad of incompatible mod packages, which splintered to community. And now, of course, it's 'abandonware' and pretty long in the tooth to have much appeal to today's VR-dependent sim pilots.

Like most sim pilots, I have a small handful of flight sim packages installed, like DCS, the current IL-2 platform with WWI Flying Circus, and MSFS. I'm not saying I wouldn't find and install old IL-2/1946 for some Pacific carrier wars action, but it would be a matter of re-discovering the functional mod packages and deciding on which to use. And, as I recall, it was typically a pain in the ass to get the mod packages installed and updated properly. It got to be mostly a battle of making sure everyone had the exact same mod packages and update versions installed. And everyone had his own favorite mods that he was not willing to do without.

But if someone wants to do the legwork to figure out how to get it up and running, I'm game to give it a shot. I don't see it as having the appeal necessary to re-adopt it as an 'official' supported sim package again for VFA-41. But I could be wrong... :1wink:

SNIPE T-bird

Post by SNIPE T-bird » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:15 am

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz on steam....with Desert Maps,Tobro

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gKk5g6Pz3c
Last edited by SNIPE T-bird on Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SNIPE T-bird

Post by SNIPE T-bird » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:26 am

Cliffs of Dover,and the channel battles in these 2 were pretty good also,still on STEAM...with a good following...

SNIPE T-bird

Post by SNIPE T-bird » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:59 am

ImageTally ho! Eh, wot. At's a right nice bird, she is. Now, 'owsabout a spot o' tea and a good rogering?