Operation Snowfox: Iranian Drone Facility Strike

For scheduled squadron missions and unscheduled pick-up missions.
Rhino

Operation Snowfox: Iranian Drone Facility Strike

Post by Rhino » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:04 pm

VFA-41 aircraft launched from USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) in support of Operation Snowfox, the ongoing conflict in the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian forces had launched a surprise attack on Oman and the UAE, landing forces at Khasab which then pushed as far south as Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah before GCC nations could scramble and set up defensive lines.

Only two Black Aces pilots were available for tasking, and it was not immediately clear how the Snowfox campaign is intended to be flown/fought. Dealer 1, consisting of Nocs and I, received a tasking to destroy an Iranian drone hanger on Qeshm Island, but were only provided with a grid coordinate of CQ95. This was not enough information to create a good waypoint for accurate targeting. Nonetheless, Dealer 1 launched and began flying in the general direction of Qeshm Island as we surmised we might be able to locate the airfield where the drones take off visually and then slew sensors from there.

Once airborne, it became clear that Iranian opposition was heavy. Dealer 1-2, flying an F-14 Tomcat for fighter sweep duties, locked up a MiG-29 off our nose, which eventually turned cold. There were many SAM search radars on the RWR and I decided to orbit for bit to attempt to obtain a better target coordinate from the F10 map. I was able to create a waypoint on the Qeshm Island airport and passed them to Dealer 1-2 for entry into the F-14 navigation system. When we started to push towards the target, we were both engaged by a Hawk SAM battery and Nocs was shot down. I launched a HARM on the Hawk site, but was not able to hit it. I decided to abort the mission due to loosing air cover and the heavy enemy resistance between the target and my position. As I turned back toward the carrier I was jumped by an Iranian F-4 Phantom, but was able to splashed him with my lone AIM-120c. I noted a EWR search radar near Bandar e Jask and decided I'd launch my last HARM at it on my way back to the ship. Just as I launched the HARM, two F-14 RWR nails showed up on the RWR, taking off out of Jask, and an Su-33 was closing me from the north. I jettisoned my GBU-10's and bustered back to the cover of the carrier strike group and recovered Case 1.

Dealer 1:
1. Rhino- 1xF-4E, trapped
2. Nocs- shot down by SAM

*Both of our jets were hot start on the ship, and as such I didn't get through my checklist like normal. This resulted in my not turning on my datalink until I was in the landing pattern. Had I had it on, I might not have been surprised by the Phantom and the Su-33 that both seemed to come out of nowhere. I think this has more potential as filler/training/fun between campaigns, but I need to learn how to use it properly in terms of requesting proper missions and supporting AI flights as needed.

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Re: Operation Snowfox: Iranian Drone Facility Strike

Post by Hedgehog » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:46 pm

Pilot records and Greenie Board updated.