New Pilot Application

Considering applying to be a Black Ace? Got questions? Post 'em here!
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED AN APPLICATION AND HAVE NOT RECEIVED A RESPONSE WITHIN 48 HOURS, LET US KNOW HERE. (The application email system is sketchy.)
Gilligan

New Pilot Application

Post by Gilligan » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:40 pm

Hi Aces!

I am very interested in applying for the open spot in your squadron. I just wanted to ask a few questions prior to submitting an application. After doing some research on the different squadrons out there in the DCS World community, I found that the Black Aces is everything I want in a squadron. I don’t want to just be a number in a squadron, I want to contribute and be an asset to the squadron, I want to get to know each and everyone within the squadron, and I want to learn and be the best pilot I can be. I want to fully embrace the squadron I join. I have been searching on your website for the past few days trying to get the most information I can on if I would be a good fit for the Black Aces. I feel that I can be! Time is certainly no issue for me. The trainings, missions, and unscheduled missions, attendance will not be an issue. This is a true passion of mine and I would do anything to fly!

I found a post on this site from 2018 stating “That value is primarily represented by a commitment to consistent participation. Pilots with little or no expertise are moved to the front of the line.” I just wanted to know a little bit more regarding the skill level required or preferred in order to apply. Full disclosure, I have been studying and watching a lot of videos and tutorials on DCS World specifically on flying the F/A-18C. However, I haven’t officially started playing the game yet, I have the build to be able to play it, I will have no issue purchasing the maps and modules required to join. The only reason I haven’t started yet is I just fully relocated to a new state this past month, I plan to start officially playing this week!

I apologize for the long message, I wanted to be upfront and honest about where I stand in the game. I value your time as well as mine, I would never want to waste anyone’s time. I would love to be a part of this squadron, if I am too early in my DCS World career, I understand. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you!

All the best,

Gilligan (callsign)

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Re: New Pilot Application

Post by Hedgehog » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:12 am

Hello Gilligan,

If I understand what you're asking; please be aware that in order to successfully complete the interview process, an applicant will be invited to a checkride. The checkride is not a skills test, but rather simply ensures that a pilot can connect to a squadron server, that his comms are configured and functional, and that his controls are functional to at least taxi and take-off. Of course, you will not be able to do this if you don't yet own the sim platform.

VFA-41 uses Simple Radio Standalone (SRS) for in-flight radio communication. The free client is available here: http://dcssimpleradio.com/

Beyond all of that, please be aware that the Black Aces are simulator pilots, not gamers. (Several are real-world pilots as well.) If you regard DCS as a "game" that you intend to "play," then you are probably in the wrong place.

Gilligan

Re: New Pilot Application

Post by Gilligan » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:29 am

Hello Hedgehog,

Thank you for your response and clarification, I truly appreciate it. I will get everything needed in order to be a qualified applicant on the simulator platform. Including the functions needed to pass and excel on the check ride. After that, if the “Join VFA-41” button still appears on the website, I will apply! If not, I will keep checking back as this is a squadron I would love to be a part of.

Also, my apologies for my poor choice of wording in my last message. I understand that this is a simulation platform and that the Black Aces are simulator pilots, not gamers. I also don’t consider myself a gamer nor DCS World a game as I know it is a simulation. Again, my apologies for my poor choice of words.

Thank you again for your time,

Gilligan

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:29 am.