Hello

Considering applying to be a Black Ace? Got questions? Post 'em here!
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED AN APPLICATION AND HAVE NOT RECEIVED A RESPONSE WITHIN 48 HOURS, LET US KNOW HERE. (The application email system is sketchy.)
TheGipp

Hello

Post by TheGipp » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:56 pm

Greetings from a fan of your squadron from long ago. I'm TheGipp (Gipper) - a member of Team Super Hornet years ago. I've been away from JF18 for quite a while.

When the Blue Angels showed up in town yesterday I thought about dusting off JF18 and taking it for a drive. But, before doing that I thought of the Black Aces and was curious if you were still at it. Wow! You're flying DCS F/A-18C's. Now I'm seriously thinking of trying DCS and buying the F18 module. EA's JF18 was the best $40 game I'd ever bought. So much time...playing and modding.

I can't even hope to fly with you guys yet - but wanted to say hi and get a quick thumbs up from you guys that it's worth the $80 to hop into a DCS F/A-18C. I really enjoyed the depth of JF18 and am hoping to have at least that good of an experience in a new game.

I'll browse your forum for newbie advice (min specs, etc) and run off to YouTube to watch intro videos!

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for letting me look in on your current work.

Cheers,
Gipper

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Hedgehog » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 pm

Hello, and welcome.

You can get a pretty good flavor of what we're doing with the Hornet and carrier ops if you review the After Action Reports in this message board. And, as you suggested, there are loads of great videos on YouTube to illustrate the state of the art of the F/A-18C in DCS World.

In terms of 'depth', I'd say that while Jane's F/A-18 was excellent for it's time, the DCS Hornet is at least 2x the system depth. To start with, in Jane's, the jet was already started up when you get in. In DCS, the first thing you will be learning is the cold iron start-up procedure.

Unfortunately, you may have noticed that the squadron website is a bit stale. The content management system is broken at the moment so it hasn't been updated in a month. We're working on it...

Keep your eye out for module sales on the DCS World website. They run sales every couple of months. Also, they have some sort of new user 50% discount on your first purchased module, and I think you can download and try any module for free for 30 days.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... t/#3317029

Recommend: do not get the sim package or purchase modules through Steam. Get them directly from the DCS site.