02 October, 2022 - Training: Anti-Ship/Case III/ Instrument Approach

For scheduled squadron missions.
MrBean

02 October, 2022 - Training: Anti-Ship/Case III/ Instrument Approach

Post by MrBean » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:04 am

SITUATION

In this Inter-Deployment Training Cycle mission, we will prepare for the upcoming Black Sea campaign by conducting a Harpoon/Anti-ship refresher, practicing night case III recoveries aboard the ship in marginal weather, and learn how to shoot an instrument-based TACAN approach to an airfield.

TAKEOFF AND DEPARTURE

VFA-41 aircraft will depart from Andersen AFB. Excuse the crummy looking fog effect, but is the only way to sufficiently reduce visibility enough to attain the appropriate visibility conditions

Recommended loadout for this training mission is: Centerline fuel tank, 4 AGM-84D Harpoon missiles, (plus standard ATFLIR, AIM-120 and AIM-9x config)

Each flight will depart in order and proceed to [WP1], thence [WP2] to conduct their anti-ship exercise.

[WP2] is different for each Dealer flight.

TRAINING TASK 1: Harpoon Missile Refresher

Due to the possibility of anti-shipping operations in our upcoming campaign, we will practice employing Harpoon missiles.

Upon reaching [WP2], each flight should begin searching for an enemy convoy consisting of a frigate and two tanker ships. The enemy ships should be 70-90 miles ahead of each flight as they cross [WP2]

Once the convoy is located, proceed to launch harpoon missiles at the three ships. Use of R/BL or BOL launch procedures is up to the individual pilot - but it is highly recommended to practice utilizing both methods so you are familiar with setting the weapon flight and search parameters on the DDI.

See HARPOON refresher video linked below if needed to refresh yourself on configuration and launch procedures.

Once each flight's Harpoons are launched, weapon view may be utilized to observe success/failure of the attack, but remain far enough away to prevent being engaged by the enemy frigate.

When ready, flight should then proceed east towards the Carrier for the next training task.

TRAINING TASK 2: Night Case III approach in marginal weather

The Black Sea in Winter will not be as pleasant of an operating environment as our last spring-Summertime Eastern Mediterranean operation. Accordingly, we will practice recovering aboard the ship in poor weather conditions.

Each flight will fly out to the George Washington and conduct a Case III approach and landing per squadron CVN SOP.

After trapping, sideline your aircraft and refuel for the flight back to Andersen AFB.

Once a flight's aircraft are refueled, the flight may depart for Andersen. Only utilize Cat 1 & 2 for the launch so that the deck remains clear for any flights still recovering behind you.

TRAINING TASK 3: Instrument approach to land-based airfield

Due to our upcoming forward-deployed expeditionary detachment to Tiblisi, we may need to find our way back to the airfield's runways in low cloud and reduced visibility conditions. Terrain surrounding Tiblisi makes simply flying below the clouds until we acquire the airport visually a dangerous proposition.

Accordingly, we will learn the very minimum needed to successfully read an instrument approach plate for a TACAN approach (since the Hornet has no land-based ILS capability) and practice shooting a simple TACAN approach to Runway 6R at Guam, in case the skillset is required to operate in and out of Tiblisi.

The main difference between the TACAN we will practice and shooting a Case III at the boat is that there will be no glideslope needle to follow. Course information will be given using the TACAN & CRS function of the HUD/HSI same as at the boat, but a pilot will need to learn how to determine what altitude he needs to be at for each checkpoint on the approach - this information will come from the approach plate.

Obviously, the intent of this is not to cram even a fraction of a full-fledged instrument ground school into a Sunday night squadron mission. However, the basics of how to read a simple Instrument Approach Plate and apply the procedures in the aircraft should be a very manageable task.

The approach we will be shooting at Andersen is depicted below for your familiarization and I have uploaded a training video that covers the important sections of an approach plate as it applies to our basic needs. The first half of the video is a discussion covering the approach plate, and the second half is a demonstration of how it would look in the jet.

Once departing the GEORGE WASHINGTON, each flight will return to Andersen and recover in poor visibility by attempting to shoot the TACAN 6R approach (which will be available on the in-cockpit kneeboard)

ADDITIONAL NOTES AND CONSIDERATIONS

While obviously not a factor out in the balmy South Pacific, winter in the Caucasus and Black Sea will be a more challenging environment.

- Shore based operations: Remember to turn Anti-skid: ON when departing from/returning to a shore-based airfield. We may see some snow on the ground at some point. While taxiway/runway friction is likely not reduced in the Sim during snow/icing conditions, be prepared to taxi slower and maintain more separation between aircraft during ground operations.

- Icing conditions: If encountering cold temperatures and/or icing conditions airborne, make sure pitot heat is in AUTO (or ON). In AUTO (standard position) the pitot heat is automatically energized with Weight off Wheels so you should never experience erroneous airspeed indications airborne unless some other electrical malfunction exists. I am not sure if it is modelled, but theoretically if it is cold and raining/snowing on the deck, the pitot could ice up on the ground meaning you could take off with erroneous airspeed for several minutes until it "thaws" once you are airborne. In temps below freezing with active snow/rain - consider placing the Pitot heat switch to ON during startup - that will apply heat to the pitot probe prior to getting airborne and prevent any possible issues.

- Expect to see more periodic "Inlet Ice" advisory messages on your DDI. While the effects of engine icing are not modelled in DCS currently, the periodic deedle deedle and advisory light can prove annoying/distracting. Remember you can turn on your Engine Heat switch (next to Pitot Heat), which will apply inlet ant-icing and prevent those messages from occurring. Unlike in real life- it appears that there is no engine performance or fuel penalty for having it turned on.

MISSION OVERVIEW

DATE: 02 October, 2022

TIME: 18:00

SUNRISE: 06:25
SUNSET: 18:13

TASK: Training

WX: 010@15 / Overcast 2,0000 Rain and Fog / T20 / Q29.83

FLIGHT DURATION: 250 nm

AVAILABLE SQUADRON ASSETS:
Dealer 1: 4 x F/A-18c
Dealer 2: 4 x F/A-18c
Dealer 3: 4 x F/A-18c

CARRIER:
USS GEORGE WASHINGTON / TCN: 73X / AACS: 13 / 127.5

SUPPORTING UNITS:
CV RECOVERY TANKER / SHELL / S-3B / 66Y / 353.0

DIVERT
Andersen AFB
Rwy: 6 / 24
TCN: 54X
ATC: 250.1 [5]

TACAN 06R approach to Andersen AFB
U_PGUA TCN 06R.png
U_PGUA TCN 06R.png (229.6 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

Mission Datacard
Z_MDC.png
Z_MDC.png (56.56 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

Harpoon Missile Refresher
https://youtu.be/oDBPUkm2NYY

TACAN Approach Tutorial
https://youtu.be/M8b-7oE-bCQ

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Re: 02 October, 2022 - Training: Anti-Ship/Case III/ Instrument Approach

Post by Hedgehog » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:35 pm

Might need some clarification from the 'real' pilot types...

In the jet at the range, 3 different kneeboard pages tell me about approaching Andersen 06R with different headings.

The TACAN RWY 06R page, as shown above, says 060 degrees for 06R.

The JEPPESEN approach plate says 064 degrees for 06R.

The AD Mariana Islands page says 067 degrees for 06R.

:1huh:

MrBean

Post by MrBean » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:34 pm

Don't have access to the Marianas Kneeboard pages currently, but the Jeppesen plate(s) are probably for Localizer or ILS approaches. So the final approach course for the ILS/LOC is probably 064* rather than 060*

The AD page likely shows 067* as the actual magnetic heading of the runway itself, which can be different than the published final approach course of an instrument approach to the runway.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:38 am

Here is another Harpoon video. It's a little more recent and covers some updates since Redkite's original tutorial. At the 18:30 mark, he starts covering the use of the SEA Radar for Bearing and Range Launch mode.

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Post by Hedgehog » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:53 pm

MrBean wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:34 pm
Don't have access to the Marianas Kneeboard pages currently, but the Jeppesen plate(s) are probably for Localizer or ILS approaches. So the final approach course for the ILS/LOC is probably 064* rather than 060*

The AD page likely shows 067* as the actual magnetic heading of the runway itself, which can be different than the published final approach course of an instrument approach to the runway.
I ain't no real pilot, but I kinda like to have the pointy end of my plane lined up with the actual direction the runway goes when I'm landing. And taking off, too.

Trim

Post by Trim » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:35 pm

Sometimes you just gotta do some of that pilot shit.

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Post by Hedgehog » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:30 am

Working with Harpoons at the range last night, reminding myself of a few important points when using that weapon system;

a) The SEA mode radar is magic. It only shows ships, no matter where they are, even in port. It magically filters out buildings and land masses. So just because the radar image looks like the contact is out in open water, make sure you have a reasonable idea what's out at that range and bearing on the map. (I'm not saying that I sank an American destroyer tied up to the pier in a harbor in Guam, but I'm not saying I didn't. :1undecided: )

b) Each weapon must be configured individually. None of the settings you select for a Harpoon will be carried over to the next weapon. ESPECIALLY bearing for BOL launch. If you locate the ships and setup a BOL launch, then squeeze off two in a row, the 2nd one will just go 000 degrees. (I'm not saying that I have done this is previous missions and/or last night, but I'm not saying I didn't. :1rolleyes: )

c) You cannot configure a Harpoon for R/BL launch until you have a target designated. You can't even select R/BL without a designated target. :1tongue:

I would also like a 2nd opinion on something. The excellent video that Rhino posted says that the R/BL SEEK setting determines how far out from the designated target range the weapon will go active on its radar. According to the DCS F/A-18 manual, either 10, 20, or 30 km before the target range. This makes sense, though in the Jane's days, the SEEK setting on the weapon determined the width of the weapon's radar scan.*

*Jane's F/A-18 Flight Manual, p 5-137

Hedgehog
Site Admin

Post by Hedgehog » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:54 am

Trim wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:35 pm
Sometimes you just gotta do some of that pilot shit.
When you can't see the shit (e.g., in heavy fog), it's a lot more difficult to do that pilot shit. When I'm trusting my instruments in IFR conditions, and don't see the runway until I'm over the threshold, and discover that I'm 10 degrees off the correct heading for landing in crap wx, that sounds a lot like a missed approach.

Lion

Post by Lion » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:16 pm

LCDR MrBean assigned as Training Mission Commander

CDR Ticman on standby/alternate

MrBean

Post by MrBean » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:29 am

Hedgehog wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:54 am

When you can't see the shit (e.g., in heavy fog), it's a lot more difficult to do that pilot shit. When I'm trusting my instruments in IFR conditions, and don't see the runway until I'm over the threshold, and discover that I'm 10 degrees off the correct heading for landing in crap wx, that sounds a lot like a missed approach.
100% correct. Which is why the weather minimums are significantly higher for TACAN approaches like this than they would be if we could shoot ILS in the Hornet. Also why the missed approach point on a non-precision approach like that are BEFORE you get to the runway threshold - to give someone time to do "pilot shit" with the runway in sight to maneuver for landing.

FWIW the Weather on mission day will not be as bad as it was in the video. I had cranked it down as low as I could get it for the video- just to demonstrate that the process works.

Would be lovely to be able to come in every single time with the runway straight off the nose, but in cases where the terrain, or navigational aid configuration/location on the airfield does not allow that - one does not have that luxury.

I'd love a bigger boat (and a pony), but my wife says I can't have either, so I make do with what I have... :1grin: